Kalsytech® Equine FAQ's
Posted by on
WHY CALCIUM FOR HORSES?
Calcium is an essential mineral often lacking in a horse’s diet. The body uses calcium to build stronger, denser bones early in life, and to keep bones strong and healthy later in life. Calcium is also involved in proper functioning of the nervous system, muscles, cardiac function, and blood clotting. Some horses feed on grasses and food that are known to deplete calcium from their bodies. Horses participating in performance events can also deplete their bodies of much needed nutrients like calcium. In addition, pregnant and lactating mares, growing horses, and performance horses that sweat heavily need higher levels of calcium. To ensure horses have a sufficient level of calcium for healthy bones and teeth, they can use a calcium supplement just like people do.
WHY KALSYTECH® PREMIUM CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT?
For a calcium supplement to be helpful to your horse, it must be easy for their body to digest and retain. Kalsytech® contains 100% pure marine calcium made from the bones of fish that live only in the clean ocean waters of New Zealand.
Most calcium used in calcium supplements comes from limestone. This type of calcium is very difficult for the body to digest, absorb, and use. But because the calcium in Kalsytech® comes from fish, it offers calcium in its most natural, organic, nutritious form. The fish bones we use to make Kalsytech® are processed using strict standards to maintain the maximum amount of essential nutrients.
Bone is hard because it contains hydroxyapatite crystals which are formed from collagen, calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals. The calcium in Kalsytech® is 100% microcrystalline hydroxyapatite, which is absorbed well by the body and provides comprehensive bone nourishment because it is formed from actual bone.
Kalsytech® is unique because it combines calcium with other nutrients and minerals to maximize its effectiveness, providing support for healthy bones, reversing bone loss, and helping increase bone mass. Kalsytech® contains the correct 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus, which is the same ratio that exists naturally in a horse’s bones.
Kalsytech® has NO additives and DOES NOT CONTAIN yeast, dairy, starch, gluten, fillers, wheat, or artificial color.
SIGNS OF CALCIUM DEFICIENCY
If horses have calcium deficient diets, or graze pastures with calcium deficient grasses (such as kikuyu, buffel, pangola, para or other tropical grasses), they may show signs of calcium deficiency like:
- Weak and fragile bones
- Weight loss
- Swollen upper and/or lower jaw bones or facial bones
- Loose teeth
KALSYTECH® CAN HELP MANAGE
- Degenerative Joint Disease
- Big Head
- Shin Soreness
- Bone Spurs
- Shin Splints
- Poor Hooves
- Poor Doers
- Imperfect Bone Formation
- Bone Soreness
- Bone Injury
- CALCIUM: Plays an important role in building stronger, more dense bones early in life, and in keeping bones strong and healthy later in life. Calcium also helps the nervous system and muscle function, and aids in the normal growth and maintenance of teeth.
- PHOSPHORUS: An essential mineral required by every cell in the body for normal function. It is also a major structural component of bone.
- COLLAGEN: Helps in the development and health of cartilage and bones. Collagen is strong and elastic, and is a key component in cartilage, ligaments, tendons, bones, fascia and skin.
- FISH BONE PEPTIDES (FBP): FBP's attract calcium during digestion and promote higher absorption of calcium into the body. Calcium supplements cannot be effective unless they are effectively absorbed by the body.
- MAGNESIUM: Is vital for healthy bone structure. It interacts with calcium to keep blood vessels healthy so blood can flow properly, it helps muscles contract (even the heart), and helps regulate electrolytes.
- Calcium 610 mg
- Phosphorus 305 mg
- Collagen 325 mg
- Complex Carbohydrates 825 mg
- Magnesium 8.75 mg
- Lipid 0-25 mg
Use scoop enclosed in the tub. Each scoop measures approximately 2.5 grams of Kalsytech®.
- Loading Dose: Give 2 x the daily dosage with meals for the first 10 days.
- Daily Dose: Up to 800 lbs – 1.5 scoops per day. 800-1100 lbs - 2 scoops per day. Over 1100 pounds - 3 scoops per day.
The products and information on these pages are not intended as a substitute for medical or veterinary diagnosis and treatment, but to complement it. If symptoms persist, please seek the advice of a qualified medical practitioner.
Products are derived from seafood. Do not use if there is a seafood allergy.