Pumpkin - Autumn's Super Nutritious Food
Posted by on
Pumpkin is the perfect flavor of fall, and the best news is, it is so good for you! Did you know that pumpkin has nutrients like thiamin, niacin, folate, riboflavin, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese, iron, phosphorus, copper, calcium, zinc, selenium, and vitamins A, E, B6 and C? Plus fiber, beta-carotene, and alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 essential fatty acid the body converts to inflammation fighting EPA & DHA omega-3’s. And you know we love anything that fights inflammation!
Here is an easy, delicious, pumpkin-packed recipe for you to enjoy:
Honey Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
Whole wheat, honey-sweetened pumpkin bread that only requires one bowl to make. (You don't have to tell anyone it's healthy!)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice or cloves
- 1¾ cupswhole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup hot water
- Optional- turbinado (raw) sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs, and beat well.
- Stir in pumpkin purée and vanilla, then the salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. Stir in flour, just until combined.
- Add baking soda and hot water, then mix briefly into batter until it is evenly distributed. Spread batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, and swirl with the tip of a table knife for a pretty marbled effect. Sprinkle a big pinch of turbinado sugar on top for a light, sweet crunch.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes. Be sure to check that the bread is done baking by inserting a toothpick in the top. It should come out clean. If the top of the bread jiggles when you pull it out of the oven, it’s not done. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Tags: anti-inflammatory, nutrition, pumpkin, pumpkin bread, pumpkin nutritional value, pumpkin recipes