You are probably familiar with fish oil supplements because they offer many health benefits. But are fish oil supplements the best option, or is it possible that lesser-known New Zealand Greenlipped Mussel supplements could offer even better results, especially with regards to reducing joint pain?
Fish oil and New Zealand Greenlipped Mussel are rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids, especially EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). Essential fatty acids are fats that our bodies cannot produce themselves, but which our bodies need to function properly, so they must come from our diet. And, if we cannot get enough of these essential omega-3’s from our diet alone, medical professionals recommend omega-3 dietary supplements.
Exactly how can omega-3’s support our health?
- REDUCING INFLAMMATION: Omega-3’s are scientifically proven to reduce inflammation in the human body, and this is crucial because inflammation is associated with many issues such as arthritis, psoriasis, obesity, heart disease, cancer, asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, and diabetes.
- HEART HEALTH: Omega-3’s can lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and raise HDL “good” cholesterol. They can also lower triglycerides, improve blood pressure, prevent artery-clogging plaque, and can reduce instances of fatal heart arrhythmias, heart attacks, and stroke.
- BRAIN HEALTH: Because our brains are made up of nearly 60% fat (much of that being omega-3 essential fatty acids), we need omega-3’s to maintain normal brain function. Supplementing with omega-3’s can help slow brain deterioration in older adults, reduce risk of Alzheimer’s disease, and may help improve memory.
- MENTAL HEALTH: Some studies even indicate that using omega-3 supplements can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, and can reduce instances of certain types of mental illnesses.
- MENSTRUAL PAIN: Women who consume higher levels of omega-3’s have lower levels of menstrual pain and discomfort.
- EYE HEALTH: Many eye doctors recommend their patients supplement with high levels of omegas to improve overall eye health, reduce the risk of macular degeneration, and to relieve eye dryness that can come with age.
- SKIN HEALTH: Omega-3’s can help improve skin hydration and minimize the signs of aging. They can even reduce skin irritation and inflammation.
- ADHD: Adequate levels of omega-3’s have been shown to improve attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and other behavioral issues in children.
- BETTER SLEEP: Low levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids are associated with sleep problems in children and with obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Lower levels of DHA in particular are tied to lower levels of the sleep hormone melatonin and supplementing with omega-3’s can improve the quality and length of sleep in both children and adults.
- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES: Omega-3’s can help combat autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes, lupus, Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, and psoriasis.
- BONE HEALTH: Research indicates that people with higher levels of omega-3’s in their blood have better bone mineral density, which is tied to stronger bones and reduced instances of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- MUSCLE RECOVERY: EPA and DHA can increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis, which is the body produces protein to repair muscle damage caused by intense exercise.
So clearly, omega-3’s offer many potential health benefits related to a wide variety of organs, functions, and systems of the human body. One area that we are particularly interested in is the effect of omega-3’s on joint health. Numerous studies show that omega-3 essential fatty acids can help joint function by:
- Maintaining proper lubrication in joints to prevent discomfort during movement.
- Decreasing joint inflammation that causes arthritis and triggers the body’s pain response.
- Reducing joint stiffness, tenderness, swelling, and discomfort.
While most people think of increasing their levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids with fish oil supplements, a study by the Clinic of Rheumatology and Internal Medicine found that,
“Perna canaliculus (New Zealand Greenlipped Mussel) is more effective than fish oil at reducing arthritis pain and improving quality of life.” 
New Zealand’s Best is proud to offer the highest quality New Zealand Greenlipped Mussel (Perna canaliculus) supplements for people (Mobicosa® Premium Joint Supplement) and pets (Technyflex® Canine, Equine & Feline) that contain not two, but four omega-3 essential fatty acids:
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Alphalinolenic acid (ALA) - ALA is used for preventing heart attacks, lowering blood pressure, and reversing hardening of blood vessels. It is also used to treat diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, lupus, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and to prevent pneumonia.  ALA may also limit oxidative stress, which occurs when there is an imbalance in the body between free radicals and antioxidants. Without this proper balance, free radicals can start to damage DNA, fatty tissue, and proteins, resulting in diseases like artherosclerosis, heart disease, and diabetes.
- Eicosatetraenoic acid (ETA) – which is found only in the New Zealand Greenlipped Mussel, but not in fish oil supplements. ETA inhibits the COX and LOX-2 inflammation pathways in the body, thus reducing joint inflammation, pain, and discomfort without causing harm to the digestive system and kidneys like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications can. A recent study also found that daily supplementation with ETA can lower the risk of psoriasis in adults.
So, when you are ready to experience the myriad health benefits the unique combination of omega-3 essential fatty acids in New Zealand Greenlipped mussel can offer, New Zealand’s Best can help!
 Promoting Exercise Recovery for Continued Strength and Performace, Madison Dorn, Natural Products Insider, Vol. 25, No 4
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: ACL tear retrievers, ALA for autoimmune disease, ALA for heart health, ALA in greenlipped mussel good for autoimmune diseases, Alternative to pain relievers, Anti-inflammatory, anti-inflammatory options, Anti-inflammatory supplement, are fish oil supplements good for you, are omega 3's good for you, are omega supplements good for you, best mussel supplement for dogs with arthritis, best natural supplement for dogs, best omega joint supplements, best omega supplements, best omegas for heart health, best omegas for inflammation, best supplements for older dogs, best supplements for osteoarthritis, better than fish oil for joint pain, ETA omega reduces inflammation, fish oil autoimmune diseases, fish oil bone density, fish oil Crohn's disease, fish oil for adhd, fish oil for attention deficit disorder, fish oil for beautiful skin, fish oil for better sleep, fish oil for bone health, fish oil for brain health, fish oil for diabetes, fish oil for eye health, fish oil for healthy skin, fish oil for heart health, fish oil for joint pain, fish oil for lupus, fish oil for menstrual pain, fish oil for mental health, fish oil for period pain, fish oil muscle recovery, fish oil psoriasis, fish oil reduces inflammation, fish oil rheumatoid arthritis, fish oil speeds muscle recovery, fish oil ulcerative colitis, greenlipped mussel improves joint stiffness, greenlipped mussel reduces inflammation, New Zealand Greenlipped mussel better than fish oil, omega 3's help mobility, omega 3's improve joint stiffness, omega 3's reduce inflammation, omega 3's reduce joint discomfort, omega-3's and joint pain, omega-3s joint lubrication, what's better than fish oil for arthritis pain